The singer denies having participated in the Qatar World Cup

Dua Lipa had number one hits with songs like New Rules, One Kiss and Cold Heart

Dua Lipa has denied reports that she will perform at the opening ceremony of the FIFA Men’s World Cup in Qatar on Sunday.

The singer said she would “look forward to visiting Qatar when it fulfills all the human rights commitments it made” when it became host.

Qatar has been criticized for its stance on same-sex relationships, its human rights record and its treatment of migrant workers.

Other acts, including Robbie Williams and BTS’s Jung Kook are carried out.

In February 2021, the Guardian said 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka had died in Qatar since winning their World Cup bid.

However, the Qatari government said the total was misleading as not all of the deaths recorded were of people working on World Cup-related projects.

Lipa posted a story on Instagram on Sunday, which read: “There is currently a lot of speculation that I will play in the opening ceremony of the World Cup in Qatar.

“I will not play and I have never been involved in any negotiations to play.

“I will be cheering on England from afar… One love, Dua.”

Lipa, born in London to Kosovar-Albanian parents, is not the first big name to make it a point not to play in Qatar.

Sir Rod Stewart recently revealed he turned down the opportunity.

“I was actually offered a lot of money, over a million dollars, to play there 15 months ago. I declined. It’s not right to go,” he said. he declared to Sunday time.

And the Iranians [football team] should be out [of the World Cup] also to provide weapons,” he added, referring to Iran supplies explosive drones to Russiawhich Iran has denied.

Russia was suspended from all competitions by Fifa and UEFA in February, after the country invaded Ukraine.

However, other musical groups like American pop/rap group Black Eyed Peas and Colombian singer J Balvin are also expected to perform at events in Qatar during the tournament.

Joe Lycett holds £10,000 in cash

Joe Lycett holds £10,000 in cash

Comedian Joe Lycett, meanwhile, has issued an ultimatum to Qatar World Cup Ambassador David Beckham.

Lycett has promised to donate £10,000 of his own money to charity, if Beckham terminates his multi-million pound contract with Qatar.

Homosexuality is illegal in the country, where same-sex relations can be punishable by death.

If the former footballer refuses, then Lycett has threatened to shred the £10,000 – just before the World Cup opening ceremony.

Lycett says Beckham’s “gay icon status” will also be shredded if he doesn’t end his relationship with Qatar.

The BBC contacted David Beckham for comment, and his management replied: “We are not commenting at this time.”

Beckham has been urged to speak on the criminalization of same-sex relations in Qatar.

Speaking to the BBC last year, a source close to the star said: “Of course David wanted to make sure he was informed of the facts and any concerns he might have for his gay friends, its football supporters and fans.

David Beckham

David Beckham represented England at three World Cups as a player

“Some of the region’s laws and beliefs differ from his own, but the Qataris have always said that everyone will be safe and welcome at the World Cup in 2022 and he believes this commitment is sincere and has seen evidence of proactive engagement with the international LBGTQ community by World Cup organizers.”

Qatar World Cup Ambassador Khalid Salman made headlines last week after it emerged he had called homosexuality ‘damaging to the spirit’.

Human Rights Watch called the former Qatar international’s comments “harmful and unacceptable”.

Rasha Younes, senior LGBT rights researcher at Human Rights Watch, said, “The Qatari government’s failure to counter this misinformation has a significant impact on the lives of Qatar’s LGBT residents, ranging from fueling discrimination and violence against them to justifying submission to state-sponsored conversion practices. »

The organizers have said that no one coming to watch the tournament will be discriminated against.

“Not a very good defense”

Beckham’s former England and Manchester United team-mate Gary Neville recently appeared as a guest presenter on the BBC’s long-running current affairs quiz, do i have any news for youand was asked by team captain Ian Hislop about his decision to travel to Qatar to commentate on the World Cup.

“My view has always been that you either highlight the issues and challenges in these countries and talk about them, or you don’t say anything and stay home and don’t go,” Neville said. “I always said we should challenge them.”

To which Hislop replied: “There is another option – you stay home and bring the abuse to light.

“You don’t have to go and take money from the Qataris. I’m not trying to be boring, but it’s just not a very good defense.”

Comments are closed.